Re: update taking too long on 174,000+ records

From: Daniel W. Fink <optimaldba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 11:47:58 -0800

If you had updated 173,999 records when you killed the session, the transaction must be rolledback. This means that 173,999 changes must be undone and until these are all undone, the locks will not be released. That can take quite a while. IIRC, there may also be a delay between the time the session is killed and PMON is posted to begin cleaning up the killed transaction.

If the problem is alleviated when the scheduler is terminated, you have identified the players involved. Has there been a change to the scheduler? Why are you needing to change the data if the application meaning is the same (N, null or space)? It seems that it would be wise to suspend the scheduler while you do an update of the data outside of the application. Once the update is complete and committed, you restart the scheduler.

--
Daniel W. Fink
http://www.optimaldba.com

Author: Daniel W. Fink