RMAN backup of archived logs

From: Paul Baumgartel <treegarden_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 13:16:44 -0800

On page 224 of Mr. Freeman's RMAN book there's an example

backup archivelog all delete input until time 'sysdate - 2';

That command produces a syntax error message in RMAN for Oracle 9.2.0.1.

I find that changing the command to

backup archivelog all until time 'sysdate - 2' delete input;

works successfully.

What I'd like to do now is, in one command, backup all archived logs and delete only those older than a specified time?

Failing that, I've tried

backup archivelog all until time 'sysdate - 2' delete input;

followed by

backup archivelog all;

The only problem here is that, if there are no archived logs satisfying until time 'sysdate - 2', the command fails and the rest of the commands in the script are not executed.

I know I could backup all and delete input, but I prefer to have a couple of days' worth available in their original location.

Ideas? Thanks in advance.

Paul Baumgartel

Do you Yahoo!?
The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo. http://search.yahoo.com

Author: Paul Baumgartel
  INET: treegarden_at_yahoo.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri May 02 2003 - 16:16:44 CDT