Win2k, 8.1.7, MS Cluster Server, EMC Clarion CX600, Lost Delayed-

From: Tim Onions <tim.onions_at_speechmachines.com>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 03:16:39 -0800

After moving to EMC Clarion CX600 SAN on a Win2k Failsafe cluster using 8.1.7 we are seeing Lost Delayed-Write Data errors every 3-4 days on a seemingly random SAN drive. When Oracle sees this it offlines any datafiles being accessed on the affected drive. By the time a DBA or sys admin gets to the machine the drive is quite clearly there, but there is a Windoze alert box about the write error. Recover is straight forward but downtime is inevitable. I've logged it with Oracle and they blame MS/EMC (which seems reasonable as the event log clearly shows that the loss is at the OS level).

Has anybody encountered similar issues with SANs and/or MS? I suspect either a dodgy set-up or hardware errors but so far the diagnostics that have been run have failed to turn up anything. My fear is that at some point we will suffer data corruption and the whole system will be hosed.

What we see in the alert log is as follows:

KCF: write/open error block=0x1c40 online=1

     file=65 N:\ORACLE\ORADATA\MQ1DN4P1\DATAADTPOT1_01.DBF
     error=27070 txt: 'OSD-04016: Error queuing an asynchronous I/O request.
O/S-Error: (OS 2) The system cannot find the file specified.' Automatic datafile offline due to write error on file 65: N:\ORACLE\ORADATA\MQ1DN4P1\DATAADTPOT1_01.DBF

Many thanks

Tim Onions
Head of Oracle and Web Development
Speech Machines (A MedQuist Company)
...the speech-to-data Application Service Provider Tel: +44.1684.312364
http://www.speechmachines.com

Author: Ehresmann, David
  INET: David.Ehresmann_at_ps.net

__
This email is intended solely for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. Copying, forwarding or distributing this message by persons or entities other than the addressee is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete the material from any computer. This email may have been monitored for policy compliance. [021216]

Author: Nelson, Allan
  INET: anelson_at_midf.com

Author: Tim Onions
  INET: tim.onions_at_speechmachines.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu May 01 2003 - 06:16:39 CDT