Re: Weekly aggregates

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 20:26:49 -0000

I've used both methods at different sites for different reasons.

If you need the performance of the
partition-wise join, then you keep
the weekly aggregates in monthly
partitions, and work around the
problems of not being able to do
a single week

    create as select / exchange partition

If the performance is adequate without
partitionwise joins, but you need to
be able to build the aggregates as
rapidly as possible, then use weekly
partitions. 3 years at weekly partitions is only 150 - 160 partitions - even with a handful of indexes, that shouldn't be
a problem at parse time.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk