Storage guidelines in 9iR1 ??

From: Prem Khanna J <jprem_at_kssnet.co.jp>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 17:01:21 +0900

Guys,

The paper "How to stop defragmenting and start living" has some SAFE rules for extent management in dictionary managed tablespaces (in oracle 8 and 8i) as below:

Segments smaller than 128M should be placed in 128K extent tablespaces. Segments between 128M and 4G should be placed in 4M extent tablespaces. Segments larger than 4G should be placed in 128M extent tablespaces

In LMT (in 8i),as the paper says,SAFE rules are implemented internally.

does it mean that,i can place objects/segments of any size in LMT in Oracle 9iR1 ?

                                OR
should i go for dictionary managed tablespaces with the above said storage guide lines ?

i am moving my DB from 8.1.6 (with all dictionary managed tablespaces) to 9.0.1 (where it is LMT by default).
In such a case,which is advisable and what would you guys prefer to do ?

Regards,
Jp.

PS: my version of oracle is 9iR1/win2k. Received on Wed Mar 19 2003 - 02:01:21 CST