RE: switch logfile vs. archive log current

From: Hand, Michael T <HANDM_at_polaroid.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 13:27:48 -0500

I use switch logfile exclusively within my hot backups (because at the time I wrote the scripts I was unaware of the difference) but also check V$LOG to make sure the archive write is complete before proceeding with the backup. I has worked fine on my 8.x production database for the last 4+ years (including daily recoveries to build a Reporting instance).

I do have a question though. What is the purpose of switching the logfile for each tablespace? I do it once, after all of the tablespaces have been backed up. Am I missing something?

Mike Hand
Polaroid Corp.