Re: log buffer space

From: Darrell Landrum <DLANDRUM_at_zalecorp.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 15:54:07 -0800

I'm sorry, I've missed whether this is a production database in archive log mode or not. If it is, log switches twice per hour may be too few. You should find out what your data loss tolerance is for this instance and adjust your redo log setup to accomodate that. I agree, 50 per hour is a bit much, but there are databases where 30 minutes of data lost could be quite hurtful.

>>> orarup_at_hotmail.com 03/14/03 05:29PM >>>
Well, there lies your problem. I suggest you do the following in this order of priority and see if they resolved the problem.

(1) Log buffer of 320K is definitely small. Make it 4 MB (or at least 3MB) if you have enough memory.
(2) Your log switching is 50 per hour?!! That's a little too much. Are you sure it's that high? If so, you need to bring it down to about 2 per hour. If 50/hr is your average rate of switch, then you need to size the logfiles at least 25 times current size to achieve the 2 per hour rate. Make your logs 500M each, again if you have enough disk space. (3) If possible, try to move the redo logs to non-RAID disks, preferably local (direct attached).

HTH. Arup Nanda

Author: Arup Nanda
  INET: orarup_at_hotmail.com

Author: Darrell Landrum