Re: Veritas Quick I/O for Oracle

From: Brian Haas <bhaas_at_musiciansfriend.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 12:05:11 -0800

DENNIS WILLIAMS wrote:
> Is anyone using Veritas Quick I/O for Oracle? We are purchasing some new
> Solaris systems with fiber channel and Veritas File System, and the Veritas
> salesperson is claiming "up to 400 times faster". I would like to know if
> anyone else has discovered this miracle and what benefits you are seeing.
> Thanks.

Dennis,

What version of Oracle are you running? And are you purchsing Veritas Database Edition for Oracle or just the quick IO feature? Veritas database edition takes advantage of Oracle Disk Manager API. According to veritas benchmarks, using ODM is about the same as using raw devices and quick IO, but without any management. If you set up veritas to use ODM any datafiles you create will automatically use it.

Read more here:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/249774.htm -- Database Edition Admin guide.

http://eval.veritas.com/downloads/pro/db_edition/dbed_35_sol9_ext.pdf

White paper with benchmark results of various IO methods.

I think they(veritas) are recommending ODM with Oracle 9

I'm planning on using ODM with DBED 3.5 on Solaris on the new hardware we just got for our data warehouse.

I'm also using quick IO on an 817 instance. I can't really say if it's faster or not, because when we also had a major database and codebase change when we implemented it so I can't really compare it to the previous instance, but I doubt it's anywhere close to 400 times faster.

-Brian

Author: Brian Haas
  INET: bhaas_at_musiciansfriend.com