RE: iDirectory

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 12:39:01 -0800

Hey LeRoy (Go Badgers! Go Panthers!),

  1. That's what Oracle claims, but only if you have the Advanced Security option, which you must purchase.
  2. It depends on the box, the version of OS, and other factors. For example, LDAP authentication will not work on HP/UX 11.0 with the Trusted System option. LDAP (in this case, OiD) does not know what instance to grant access to. That will still be handled by each database with the CREATE USER command. Check out the IDENTIFIED GLOBALLY clause of the statement, provided you have purchased Advanced Security.
  3. Yes, the two can be used simultaneously, but for most users I don't think this wouldn't be a good idea (maintenance nightmare!). Perhaps for IT folks, though. It would be on a client-by-client basis.
  4. After doing a brief search, OiD MAY or MAY NOT be LDAPv3-compliant
    (contrary to my past posts!), but it does seem to break the rules for
    RFC2849 (LDIF format), which will be needed if you want to customize it's use for other LDAP usage (i.e. LDIFs are not transportable between OiD and other LDAPs). No, you cannot use another LDAP in OiD's place -- sort of. You MUST still use OiD for all Oracle interaction, whether it be network naming or user authentication. Oracle says you can use another LDAP, but they don't say that you can only use them with Oracle's OiD "gateway" that does some hokey "replication" between OiD and the other LDAP. I haven't used it, as the cost of OiD and Advanced Security (OiD comes with 9iAS -- NOT the DB!) along with the poor stability and implementation of OiD, IMHO, forced us to use SunOne and forgo the Oracle solution.

Talk with your Oracle Rep! I can't see them expecting a large deployment of OiD unless they significantly reduce the costs. It won't cost us $100Ks and then annual maintenance for all of our users to have separate Oracle DB logins.

HTH! GL!
Rich

Rich Jesse                        System/Database Administrator
rich.jesse_at_qtiworld.com           Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com