Re: remote / as sysdba

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_cybcon.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 22:08:41 -0800

Ran into an interesting problem with this on Friday.

We've put together a new SAP server that is not yet attached to a network, and so are using local account names rather than the normal domain accounts until we're ready to put it on the network. ( We're replacing another server, and this one has the same name. We have to name it properly from the beginning, no switching the name to make it live.)

SAP uses three types of servers in General: PRD, QAS and DEV.

This one happens to be the QAS server. In this case, there are two OS accounts on the server, qasadm and sapserviceqas, that will be created with oracle accounts identified externally.

Normally these appear as OPS$QASADM and OPS$SAPSERVICEQAS in the Oracle database.

The name of the server is SAPQAS.

After installing SAP, we hid the starter db that is installed by renaming directories, etc. We then switched in the real database that is a clone of the current QAS system.

SAP wouldn't start, and wouldn't give any indication of the problem. Turning auditing on for sessions showed that the SAP services were not logging into the database. Hmmm....

Switched the starter database back in, and took a look at the accounts.

They were somewhat different than expected: OPS$SAPQAS\QASADM and OPS$SAPQAS\SAPSERVICEQAS. The machine name had been included in the accounts names of the SAP starter database. Hadn't seen this before.

Switched the cloned database backin, created accounts with machine name included ( which requires caps and double quotes due to the backslash in the account name ), assigned all privs, copied some objects and started SAP again.

All worked fine after that.

Is this to be expected? I still don't know nearly as much about Windoze as Unix, so maybe I need to bone up on the Windoze security. ( Don't laugh please, I have to live with it )

Jared

Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com