Re: Tricky SQL Question

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriole.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 14:39:20 -0800

Jonathan Lewis wrote:

> Very cute -
>
> But it doesn't really cope well with
> a few outlying values at the top end
> of the range. Using double the count
> to invert the high/low distribution is
> neat - but only if the distribution is
> fairly smooth to start with.
>
> Regards
>
> Jonathan Lewis
> http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Absolutely right, and in fact Raj's solution (which I received after having posted mine) copes better with this. In fact I have already had the problem with parallel exports, and I think that the best solution would be to have one group for the 3 or 4 megatables you find in every schema, and then distribute the zillion remaining tables along the line I suggested. Something along the famous 95/5 Oracle distribution ... I guess that if you have n threads and one item represents more than 1/n minus a fudge factor it can safely be given a dedicated thread ... But it is too late for me now to do it in a single SQL statement :-).

--
Regards,

Stephane Faroult
Oriole Software