Re:RE: MS SQL hasn't given up!

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 12:04:24 -0800

John,

    A few months ago (my how time flies) if I had seen your post the next stop would be the armory for a fully fueled flame-thrower. But times have changed & I won't flame you, even though my opinions about MicroSoft remain. Personally, I think over the next 2 to 3 years we're in for another revolution in the software world. Open source software in the form of Linux, PostGreSql, MySql, Gnome, Lindows, etc... are going to make large inroads into what has been the sole purview of companies like MicroSoft, Oracle, IBM, etc... I don't think it's too far off base for us to see a PeopleSoft, or SAP version somewhere down the road that supports PostGreSql and/or MySql.

    Now this is personal opinion alone, but I see MicroSoft as trying to pull away from the pack onto it's own field with the .net infrastructure that their building. Sure MicroSoft products will work seamlessly with each other, but not with other technologies (read that as primarily Java). So we're all going to be left with one of two choices, use MicroSoft products, or everyone else's. Which leaves MicroSoft in a nice place. You can't be charged with being a monopoly when no one else wants to play on your field. I don't know about the rest of you but I'd prefer to keep my options open. Didn't someone say that "proprietary" solutions were dinosaurs??

    And this from an Oracle zealot!!! What next??? The end of the world??

Dick Goulet

BTW: Some of you may find the following rather interesting. Although one company did not want to list their license cost for the larger RFP'd project, I calculate it at better then $4 million. So Oracle is not the most platinum plated of them all.

DATABASE STUDY SHOWS SQL SERVER SURPRISES | CRN An in-depth investigation into the pricing schemes offered by each of the major database vendors revealed several surprises, including an upset by Microsoft. The study showed that SQL Server 2000 offered better pricing, training and support than Oracle, IBM, Sybase and Intersystems.

For the full details, click:
http://www.crn.com/sections/coverstory/coverstory.asp?ArticleID=40277

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Mar 04 2003 - 14:04:24 CST