Re: What to check?

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_cybcon.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 17:13:36 -0800

David,

You need to see what is taking all the time on the 'slow' machine.

Ask the person with the script to put this at the top of the script for the next run:

alter session set events '10046 trace name context forever, level 8';

Explanation of level:

-- level 4 is bind values
-- level 8 is waits
-- level 12 is both

This will cause those sessions to generate trace files that show the wait times, which should be investigated. There are some notes on MetaLink that explain how to read these.

You can also use tkprof with these files to generate the execution plans of all the SQL involved, as well as a nicely formmated summary of where the time was spent on each statement.

Unless the tkprof output makes the problem obvious, you should probably still check out the raw trace file for details on where the waits are.

HTH Jared

Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com