Re: Report coredump w/r25run -- SOLVED

From: Stephen Andert <StephenAndert_at_firsthealth.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 09:23:23 -0800

The unix problem went away with no know cause. The VMS problem turned out to be one of thos absurdly simple fixes. The problem was a comment in the tnsnames.ora file that didn't have a # at the start of the line. Troubleshooting was difficult because sqlplus and the ProC applications worked fine. Apparently r25run uses the tnsnames.ora differently than sqlplus and the error in the tnsnames file caused a problem.

IMHO, this should have generated a better error, but since reports 2.5 is long desupported, I'm still telling our developers that they had better get a move on with the unix port of the application and reports.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Stephen Andert

>>> StephenAndert_at_firsthealth.com 08/22/02 08:53PM >>>
Tru64 unix and VMS

Suddenly all reports that were working just fine this morning quit working. In Unix we get memory fault and a coredump. In VMS we get "%SYSTEM-F-ACCVIO, access violation...".

I have a TAR open already, but I'm hoping one of you guys will be able to point me to a solution or at least some more troubleshooting steps.

Here's what I've tried and the results.

  1. r25run interactive from 2 different VMS machines and 1 Unix machine. Unix = memory fault and core dump VMS = access violation
  2. Tried connecting to dev database with same results.

Still to be tried

3. Oracle support said "might be an emulator issue, so try it from host." I will try that in the AM when sysadmins come in to let me into the computer room.

4. Metalink I found Note:1074085.6 which suggested unsetting the LOGICAL DEBUG_SLFIND (in VMS ,so I don't know if this will help the unix side of the problem)

Does anyone have any other insight that might point me in the right direction??

TIA
Stephen

Author: Stephen Andert
  INET: StephenAndert_at_firsthealth.com