Re: OT: Unix question: how to display SID and path in prompt

From: Gene Sais <Gsais_at_co.palm-beach.fl.us>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 12:58:26 -0800

Rich - Having worked in both unix and vms for quite some time (vms 4.7+, various unix flavors), I see one advantage of vms over unix, acl's and varying degrees of security. Overall, they both serve a better OS for oracle than windoze. If Dec ported vms to the intel 286 chip, MS may not be around but thats history. IMHO, I prefer unix over vms.

fwiw,
Gene

PS. I made all my vms boxes act like my unix boxes, even have a vms crontab and grep :).

>>> Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com 08/27/02 02:53PM >>> OK, not to start a war, but those of us that have worked on both Unix and VMS know (or should know) that there are significant advantages (and therefore, disadvantages) to each. For example:

Advantages

VMS

User administration
Queuing system for print/batch/server/custom. Flexible object security with or without ACLs. Error messages.
Asynchronous system traps.
DCL's structure
Logicals!
Stability
Ability to enable user and process specific resource quotas.

Unix

Speed, speed, speed
No-or-low-cost software RAID 1 and 0.
Choice of shell or shells (flexibility)
Numerous addons available for everything Stability

Disadvantages

VMS

Proprietary (one vendor)
Percieved lack of available software
Inability of non-VMS types to properly or optimally program on

        VMS (see Oracle's DCL procedures and hokey setup). Slower I/O than Tru64 on same hardware.
Software RAID 1 and 0 is a cost option.
DCL's structure (!)

Unix

Many shell commands are inconsistent (e.g output from ls and grep) Lack of flexibility in object security without using ACLs (e.g.

        no delete bit in file access)
User management
Queuing
Generic error messages

That's just my take on it. I started working with VMS around 4.5 back in '87/'88. I now work mostly with HP/UX 11.0. I like Unix, but I do sorely miss the overall structure and consistency of VMS.

I don't buy the "the rest of us are on *NIX" argument, either. "Everyone else" is on Windows and that sorry excuse can't hold a candle to a real server OS. </flame: off -- run for cover>

:)

Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com              Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com

Author: Gene Sais
  INET: Gsais_at_co.palm-beach.fl.us