RE: sql loader control file help - solved

From: Kirsh, Gary <gary.kirsh_at_gs.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 08:18:32 -0800

Rachel,

I think that you are seeing this behavior, because when on Unix, if NLS_LANG is not set in the environment, it defaults to US7ASCII, which does not include the extended characters. The characterset shown in NLS_DATABASE_PARAMETERS is the database's characterset, not the charset which the client picks up from the environment:

  1* select * from NLS_DATABASE_PARAMETERS

PARAMETER                      VALUE
------------------------------ ----------------------------------------
NLS_LANGUAGE                   AMERICAN
NLS_TERRITORY                  AMERICA
NLS_CURRENCY                   $
NLS_ISO_CURRENCY               AMERICA
NLS_NUMERIC_CHARACTERS         .,
NLS_CHARACTERSET               WE8ISO8859P1
NLS_CALENDAR                   GREGORIAN
NLS_DATE_FORMAT                DD-MON-RR
NLS_DATE_LANGUAGE              AMERICAN
NLS_SORT                       BINARY
NLS_TIME_FORMAT                HH.MI.SSXFF AM
NLS_TIMESTAMP_FORMAT           DD-MON-RR HH.MI.SSXFF AM
NLS_TIME_TZ_FORMAT             HH.MI.SSXFF AM TZH:TZM
NLS_TIMESTAMP_TZ_FORMAT        DD-MON-RR HH.MI.SSXFF AM TZH:TZM
NLS_DUAL_CURRENCY              $
NLS_COMP                       BINARY
NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET         WE8ISO8859P1
NLS_RDBMS_VERSION              8.1.7.3.0

18 rows selected.

SAMTESTN>  !echo $NLS_LANG
AMERICAN_AMERICA.US7ASCII

On Windows, however, I think the default is WE8ISO8859P1.

HTH
Gary

Gary Kirsh
Next Extent Consulting