RE: DB Refreshes

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 09:23:22 -0800

Gulamabbas - I was in agreement with you until you said "minimal work". Funny. I am going to list some alternatives for you to consider, but the best alternative will depend on 1) how large is your OLTP database, 2) how active is the data i.e., how many transactions are involved, 3) can the reporting database be stand-alone, or does its data need to be integrated with other data?

  1. Snapshots, replication. Good if the OLTP database isn't too active, but it can impose a load on the production system. If you can wait and resynchronize the databases at night when activity is lower, this will help. There are other alternatives along these lines, but these work best if there is minimal update activity.
  2. RMAN DUPLICATE command can recover the database with minimal impact on the OLTP database.
  3. Hot backup / clone. If you are using o.s. hot backups, these can recreate a cloned database on the reporting system.
  4. Transportable tablespaces.
  5. Oracle standby database. Apply the archive logs from the OLTP database at night, switch it to being a reporting database during the day. With Oracle9i, you can do both simultaneously which means your reporting database can function as an current standby for production.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Aug 26 2002 - 12:23:22 CDT