RE: odbc/jdbc question

From: Ji, Richard <Richard.Ji_at_MobileSpring.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 12:44:03 -0800

John,

To me comparing Java running outside the db against PL/SQL doesn't make much sense because they are different. I would compare Java Stored Procedure
against PL/SQL for that purpose.

Now comparing Java against C make sense. And C using OCI will beat Java using JDBC. JDK 1.1.8 is really old and as you found out 1.3 is much faster.
And 1.4 is faster than 1.3.

As far as the performance between JDBC Thin and OCI driver, it's not a clear cut. It really depends on what you are doing. Like you find out in your situation Thin is faster than OCI.

Just my 2 cents.

Have a good weekend.

Richard Ji

Author: John Thomas