Re: how to force a log switch

From: Tim Gorman <Tim_at_SageLogix.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 10:38:27 -0800

Oracle9i hasn't introduced such a parameter; the best way to achieve what you want below 9i is to resize redo logs to be smaller (which several replies have already mentioned)...

With 9i Data Guard, you have options where you can set LGWR to ship redo log files to the standby, and there is even a mode where redo records (especially COMMIT markers) must be shipped and applied to the standby before LGWR considers a COMMIT on the primary to be complete. In all, there are four basic options with 9i Data Guard:

The first two options come only with 9i Data Guard in 9i EE; the third option came available with 8i EE (i.e. automated standby management), and the fourth option has been around (unofficially) since Oracle v6 and officially as a supported product since v7.3 (i.e. original standby database option) and is still the only option for 8i/9i SE...

As you can imagine, there are obvious advantages and disadvantages in cost, performance, availability, and complexity to each mode. But one cool thing about the first option is that 9i Data Guard can "switch identities" of the primary and standby (i.e. swap standby into primary role and primary into standby role) almost instantaneously using the ALTER DATABASE SWITCH IDENTITY commands. It's another way of achieving the same high-availability goals as RAC/OPS in an "active/passive" arrangement.

In this sense, the 9i Data Guard product is very much in competition with the 9iRAC product. It will be interesting to see how this competition plays out, both within Oracle as well as amongst customers...

Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: Tim_at_SageLogix.com