RE: LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST and NFS

From: Boivin, Patrice J <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 05:23:33 -0800

Two years ago we ran into a problem with export files being stored to an NFS mount, one of the export files was corrupt.

Oracle at the time advised us to avoid NFS mounts, they did not support any NFS implementations from operating system vendors, including HP, Digital, Sun. They also did not support NFS over TCP, which is offered by some
(perhaps all, I never checked that).

They did support some 3rd party NFS implementations, but these are expensive solutions.

In the end we realized we should just ensure that there was enough disk space to stage the export files before archiving them.

I suspect if you ask Oracle now about storing archived logs over NFS, you will get a similar answer.

Do you want to risk corrupting your archived logs by storing them on NFS mounts? (being paranoid is a good thing when you're a DBA).

Do a quick search in Metalink (perhaps even in google) to see what comes up for "archived logs NFS"

Regards,
Patrice Boivin
Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)

Author: Boivin, Patrice J