Re: SAN

From: <Babu.Nagarajan_at_Cummins.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 14:13:13 -0800

But inside a Oracle datafile a table may not lie in contigious blocks. so I you are doing a full table scan 2 extents can lie next to each other than then the remaining 2 can sit at the end of the datafile. Will the non-Oracle process be able to decipher this and do a read ahead of those two extents? Probably not...

Babu

Yechiel Adar <adar76_at_inter.net.il>@fatcity.com on 08/13/2002 01:50:15 PM

Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> cc:

You wrote:

> Will the "smarter algorithm" look inside the contents of a file before
> reading it? If it does not, then how will it be able to "intelligently"
> read ahead what data Oracle wants from inside its datafile? If it does,
how
> does it decipher the Oracle's way of storage?

How about using a variation of the algorithm ADABAS (database) is using for sequential user reads:
1) Return the block requested.
2) If the next block is requested in a short period read the next 5 blocks to the

    controller cache.
3) If those are read in order and request come for the next block read each

    time 10 blocks.

This is just from the top of my head but will assist greatly for full table scan of big tables. Also remember that in Oracle before 9i blocks used in FTS are put at the end of lru so are great candidates to be overwritten
and you will read them again and again.

Yechiel Adar
Mehish
Author: Yechiel Adar