Re: Oracle vs. DB2

From: ltiu <ltiu_at_alumni.sfu.ca>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 08:08:24 -0800

People like to work(and are more effective) in an environment they are comfortable with, may it be Cobol Mainframe, RPG AS/400, MS SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle or Sybase.

The point here is not which one is the best database, but which combination of database and people(talent/skill) can give you the best return on investment.

Pointless having to use DB2 if your people don't know anything about DB2 - even if DB2 is the best, you still can't get it off the ground if you do not have the poeple to work it. Same goes for the other databases.

If you need to evaluate which is the best database, evaluate it based on which is the best database for you (databse and people included).

Even MS Access can fly to the moon if you have good people working it.

ltiu

Author: ltiu
  INET: ltiu_at_alumni.sfu.ca