RE: raw devices

From: Sherman, Paul R. <PSherman_at_elcom.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 07:23:33 -0800

Hello,

Some may not agree with this sentiment, but unless there is an overriding reason for your needing to switch from dictionary-based tablespaces to locally-managed, I would leave well enough alone. Our OPS started out doing many things wrong, which we straightened out as we got more sophisticated about middle tiers, various contention issues, set up better granularity for locks, etc. One thing that we decided to leave in place was the dictionary-based tablespaces. We decided that it was more effort to modify the production system than would be gained by a small reduction in contention for $UET and $FET. If we were creating a new OPS, we would use locally-managed. With respect to the raw device allocation, our UNIX guy set up the devices in /dev/vg0x, and the DBAs create links (ln -s) in /u01/oradata/DB_name to those devices. When we drop a tablespace, we break the links. For a new tablespace, we create new links. This way we have client-specific datafile names in /u01/oradata/DB_name. And we created the devices based on some growth assumptions, so DBAs do not have to chase after UNIXAdmin every month to add more raw devices.

Thank you,

Paul Sherman
DBA Elcom, Inc.
email - psherman_at_elcom.com

Author: Khedr, Waleed
  INET: Waleed.Khedr_at_FMR.COM

Author: Sherman, Paul R.
  INET: PSherman_at_elcom.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Aug 13 2002 - 10:23:33 CDT