Re[2]: Oracle vs. DB2

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 06:43:51 -0800

    The "Director of New Technologies" here took a look at Oracle vs. DB2 vs. SQL*Server around the first of the year to see if it made any sense to remain with Oracle (remember my licensing problems of some months ago). Anyway, dollar for dollar he found that their all about the same in features/performance vs. dollars expended. Sure DB2 and SQL*Server were cheaper out of the box, but the add-ons that we got with Oracle added up to a higher cost in the end.

    To answer the questions you asked and buzzwords your faced with:

    The TCO or Total Cost of Ownership is just about a wash. Oracle leads somewhat since there is a larger third party market (or so I've been told). Oracle people are expensive, but there are also more of them in the marketplace.

    On the Future Market Position, some one correct me if I'm wrong, but Oracle is the #2 software company right behind MicroSoft so their not going away any time soon.

    On Demonstrated Technology, here I think Oracle takes a bit of a hit. Not because they don't lead the market but because they ship it when it's not fully cooked first. Hence we end up with some odd behavior that gets fixed quite soon. It's also the reason I don't use Oracle version X.0.0 release 1, but wait for release 2.

    And on the front of Platform Compatibility again Oracle took the lead covering more platforms than anyone else. Believe it or not, their still supporting HP MPE-IX even though all of the others have dropped it. I should know, had to call them yesterday.

In general though, which ever database vendor you use is getting to be more and more a political decision within the company. And in many cases I think we're going to be faced with handling more than one vendor at a time. The other items that is somewhat perplexing is that certain vendors of application software are writing to a specific database vendor and then imbedding that database into the application as a black box. The bigger problem is that your then stuck with that database on that specific system (CPU and OS) and a vendor who has very little knowledge of what's going on. Especially when things break. Like our friends at a nameless payroll processing center who shipped us a server with Oracle 7.1 on it & did not provide any details. Then the damned thing breaks on a Monday morning & they are "afraid we can't get anyone to look at it for 2 weeks". Yeah, right leave payroll undone for 2 weeks and see what happens.

Dick Goulet

Author: lembark_at_wrkhors.com
Date:       8/12/2002 3:31 PM

www.ibm.com

--
Steven Lembark                              2930 W. Palmer
Workhorse Computing                      Chicago, IL 60647

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com