Re: ORA-1575

From: Jack van Zanen <nlzanen1_at_EY.NL>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 05:18:19 -0800

Comments in-line

You were spot on

These batch jobs perform large sort operations and were secheduled to run in series but have been split up to run in parallel (8 cpu's of which 7 were idle during the batch window is BAD). This obviously meant more load on temp tablespace (and rollback but they can handle it better)

I/O subsytem is stressed as it is but we took an hour and a half of the total batch job.

Excellent answer THX

Jack

                      "Tim Gorman"
                      <Tim_at_SageLogix.co        To:       Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                      m>                       cc:       (bcc: Jack van Zanen/nlzanen1/External/MEY/NL)
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: ORA-1575
                      root_at_fatcity.com

                      13-08-2002 14:23
                      Please respond to
                      ORACLE-L

Jack,

Contention for "ST" enqueue really isn't necessary anymore, especially from v8.1.x upwards but even from any version. Something used by those batch jobs is allocating extents too quickly. I suspect it has to do with sorting
and TEMP. It could be other things, but let's go with that suspicion...

A couple of guesses about this environment:

>>> Temp tablespace is TEMPORARY

>>> User is Using the Temp tablespace

>>> Initial and next is 1M (same as sort_area_size for regualr users but
batch uses 150M)

>>> PCTINCREASE is 0 (is this Bad?)

>>> Batch job uses 150M and initial/next = 1M

If most of this is true, then what we have is an environment where concurrent activity on large sorts is guaranteed to bottleneck on the "ST" enqueue, causing ORA-01575 warnings in the "alert.log". The reason is that the SMON process, which is assigned to wake up and do some space-cleanup activities every once in a while, is a real gentleman about it. If it can't
do it's space-cleanup activities because someone else is dominating that enqueue, it doesn't stay enqueued and just wait for the lock; it complains to the alert.log file and gives up. As a matter of fact, SMON isn't so much
a gentleman as a whining little brat, when you think about it... :-)

...anyway, ORA-01575 isn't so much an "error" as a "warning" from SMON that something isn't right, and that it couldn't do its job. It is a symptom...

Resolution(s):

>>> Next October hopefully

>>> I can modify this one easily thx

The first and third recommendations are the most important. The reason for the first recommendation should be obvious, but the third is a little more subtle. If SORT_AREA_SIZE is huge but INITIAL/NEXT in temp are small, then every large sorting operation that exceeds SORT_AREA_SIZE is going to result
in dozens (if not hundreds) of very rapid extent allocations, followed inevitably (as the sort completes) by very rapid extent deallocations. If you have one process doing this, you may not have problems. But, if you have several processes doing this, you have a bottleneck on the "ST" enqueue, of which there is only one. Any process performing space-management using dictionary-managed tablespaces must first acquire the
"ST" enqueue. If INITIAL/NEXT of temp tablespace is 2-4 times the size of SORT_AREA_SIZE, then extent allocation (and subsequent deallocation) will be
much more infrequent, with more time spent sorting and less time managing sort space. Making the temp tablespace of type TEMPORARY only improves that
situation even more (if the feature works properly in your version)...

---

Of course, I could be all wrong and the problem isn't occurring in TEMP and
sorting after all.  It could be rollback segment extents sized too small;
it could also be tables and indexes affected by those batch processes with
extents sized too small.  Whatever it is, the ultimate solution is
locally-managed tablespaces in Oracle8i, but in Oracle8 and below you have
to size the extents of the affected objects more carefully and
appropriately...

Hope this helps...

-Tim

Author: Jack van Zanen