RE: RMAN: How to restore backup to a different box

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 08:23:33 -0800

Helmut - I am struggling with this myself. What is your goal? Are you just trying to create a test database, or trying to perform a disaster recovery test? For creating a test database, take a look at the RMAN DUPLICATE command.

   As to your specific question of changing the file path, the RMAN SWITCH command should be able to do what you need. Another idea is to have your Unix system administrator create the file paths you need so that you don't have to perform any changes in RMAN. For example, if you need a path /u01, create a file path or mount point with that name on the test system. One less thing to wrestle with in RMAN. I do not find that RMAN takes kindly to changes.
Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Aug 12 2002 - 11:23:33 CDT