Re: Physical Database Layout

From: Manavendra Gupta <manav_at_zycus.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 08:34:14 -0800

Hi Naveen,

Thanks for taking the time out to reply. Yes I agree most of the programmers do not bother even to optimize the queries they write, but things get a tad complicated when you are responsible for an enterprise application and you are concerned with each aspect of the system.

I understand optimization is an iterative process, but unless the physical layout of the DB itself is not right, the iterative cycle of optimization will not result in too much of an improvement.

What i am looking for is a set of directives that need to be considered during the physical design, such as whether to use local tablespaces, the number of rollback segments, db block size, etc..

Thanks,
Manav.

> Hi Manav,
>
> I'm not a guru, but a programmer turned DBA. I appreciate your concern for
> optimum DB design, because most of the programmers don't even care for the
> optimization of SQL Queries they write.
>
> Oracle gives you a lot of control over the way you want to optimize your
DB,

Author: Manavendra Gupta
  INET: manav_at_zycus.com