Was: missed Anjo's webcast.. Now: So how do I size the buffer cac

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 17:08:24 -0800

Hi all,

Changed the subject line, just so that I can start another thread ;-)

I did ask this question during the Webcast, but I guess Anjo was deluged with questions :) And the question is this:

Given that the BCHR is NOT the best way of sizing the Buffer cache, what could we use to size the cache? The trivial answer is that it should be just right so that a fully loaded Server with the max number of connections does not start excessively paging or even swapping. (Keep in mind that we need to consider 'Paging In' only, rather than Paging Out). The non-trivial answer: How about the number of CPUs and its effect on DB_BLOCK_LRU_LATCHES? Or the little known value of _db_block_hash_latches? How should I allocate the multiple Buffer pools (KEEP/RECYCLE)? How does the ratio of FTS vs Indexed reads affect this? (egads! another ratio!!) And how about those little pests(!) called Latches? Given that the Hashing algorithm uses the Data Block address (dba) to compute the cache chain, would expanding the buffer cache size provide any relief for Hot blocks/chains? How would the addition of CPUs (possibility of adding more latches) or upgrade of CPUs (faster CPU and thus a possibility of faster transverse of the chain) affect the Cache size calculation?

Questions, Questions! Something to think about during the weekend! John Kanagaraj
Oracle Applications DBA
DBSoft Inc
(W): 408-970-7002

Disappointments are inevitable in Life, but discouragement is optional. You decide!

Author: John Kanagaraj
  INET: john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com