Re: Unix Script Quest : Urgent

From: Charlie Mengler <charliem_at_mwh.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 08:29:20 -0800

Never say "never".

The output from "truss" shows all "system calls"; which includes file opens.

Here is an interesting exercise for those on *nix boxes.
>From one window/session do the following ...
$ sqlplus
>From a different window where you are logged onto the system as root
find the pid (process ID) of the SQLPLUS process from 1st window. $ truss -p pid | tee /tmp/capture
After the truss command has been initiated go back to the 1st window and enter a valid Oracle username/password to connect to the DB. In the window running the truss you'll see all the various "login" files which SQL*Plus attempts to open before returning control to the user & presenting the SQL> prompt.

HTH & YMMV HAND! "Seefelt, Beth" wrote:

> I think that will give you files that it successfully accessed, but not
> the ones that were referenced but not found.
>
> You can do what you're asking on VMS and NT, so it seems like there
> should be a way in Unix, although I asked my Unix SA's that same
> question a few years back and they said that there isn't. They were
> pretty sharp guys so I tend to believe them.

Charlie Mengler                                  Maintenance Warehouse
charliem_at_mwh.com                                 10641 Scripps Summit Ct.
858-831-2229                                     San Diego, CA 92131
Lack of planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part!
Author: Charlie Mengler
  INET: charliem_at_mwh.com