RE: Migrating from 7 to 9i

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 07:13:37 -0800

Naveen - Sorry, I was sleeping. Of course, by now you are probably sleeping. We have a few list participants on your side of the globe, but maybe not a critical mass of people yet.

   I apologize if you feel your messages have been overlooked. Since replies are voluntary, I tend to read a message and consider whether I could probably answer that question better than someone else. Unfortunately, many people reply to some types of questions and some other questions tend to slip through the cracks. And some questions could easily be answered with a Google search. I say that not so much as a criticism, but we all have different learning styles.

   I believe that more information will tend to get you a better reply because it gives us all more information to go on. Unfortunately this is an English-language list and that is a difficulty for those whose first language is not English. I try to keep that in mind and remember that the smartest person I worked with had lousy English. He tried to improve by taking an ESL class, but ended up marrying the instructor.

   As to migration from 7 to 9i, in my mind, the critical issue is "how large is your database"? If it is only a few gig and your business users will allow you to have it down for a few hours, the simplest approach is something like export/import. Basically, create your new database in Oracle9i, then somehow get all the data from the old to the new database. You can use export/import, SQL*Net COPY, etc. I am facing that task in about a year from now on a 150-gig. database because we are buying new hardware. If you feel your database is far too large for this method, investigate the migration alternatives. Go into http://technet.oracle.com and search the documentation for the word "migration". It has a very specific document describing the migration steps. I tend to avoid this whenever possible. Oracle's upgrade process tends to be simple, but migrations are much more involved and may not be worth the effort if you can accomplish the end result using other alternatives.

   Good luck Naveen. Please reply if any of these points isn't clear to you. Of course, if you've already gone home for the day I may not see your message until I arrive on Monday.
Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: Naveen Nahata
  INET: naveen_nahata_at_mindtree.com

Author: Naveen Nahata
  INET: naveen_nahata_at_mindtree.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Aug 09 2002 - 10:13:37 CDT