RE: How to connect rdb Oracle 7 database under VMS using Sql*Net ?

From: Seefelt, Beth <Beth.Seefelt_at_TetleyUSA.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 06:38:21 -0800

Hi Jean,

Yes, you can use SQLNet to access the RDB databases. If you are accessing by ODBC now, then chances are you already have the "SQL Services" software installed. And you have created a service in SQLSRV_MANAGE which uses the SQL/Services protocol.

Now, to use SQLNet you have to create a service that uses the OCI protocol. Something like this -

    Owner:                    sqlsrv$deflt
    Protocol:                 OCI clients
    Default Connect Username: <not specified>
    SQL version:              STANDARD
    Autostart:                on
    Process init:             <not specified>
    Attach:                   ATTACH 'filename accounting_db'
    Schema:                   <not specified>
    Reuse:                    SESSION
    Database Authorization:   CONNECT USERNAME
    dbsrc file:               <not specified>
    SQL init file:            <not specified>
    Appl Transaction Usage:   SERIAL
    Idle User Timeout:        3600 seconds
    Idle Exec Timeout:        120 seconds
    Min Executors:            0
    Max Executors:            50
    Clients Per Executor:     1
    Active Clients:           0

Access to service FINANCE_PROD_OCI

    Granted to users:

        PRIVILEGED_USER 'SQLNET_USER' There are also scripts provided with RDB that have to be run on the RDB databases. They create the data dictionary views - DBA_USERS, DBA_TAB_PRIVS .... that Oracle is used to seeing, so that SQLnet will think its just connecting to another Oracle database. You should look at the SQL/Services administation manual and Metalink to get all the steps to running those.

Then, on the client you have to update tnsnames to add an entry for the RDB database -

ACCOUNTING_DB =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (COMMUNITY = TCP)(PROTOCOL = TCP)(Host = Alpha)(Port = 1526))

    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVICE = Accounting_DB_OCI)
    )
  )

where the service is the name of the service you created in SQLSRV_MANAGE. Note that it uses port 1526 instead of 1521 becauses RDB is using the older sqlnet version (at the least the version I'm running does).

Feel free to email me offline if you have other questions.

HTH, Beth

Author: Jean Berthold
  INET: jean.berthold_at_eos-gd.ch

Author: Seefelt, Beth