RE: RMAN guru question

From: Freeman, Robert <Robert_Freeman_at_csx.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 14:28:32 -0800

Dennis:

>> I assumed the same as you, that RMAN writes its most
>> recent information to the control file as well as the catalog (there is a
>> retention parameter, so watch that).

This should be the case. The current database control file should always be current (assuming you
have not used an old backup control file or re-created the control file which would, of course,
result in the creation of a new database incarnation). Of course, your catalog can get out of sync
in some cases (infrequently if you are using RMAN right though).

>> One thing I have learned from disaster recovering RMAN is that you need
>> to write a copy of the control file to the backup tape. While RMAN will
>> backup the control file, it can't create it if there is no control file
>> present.

Actually in 9i that's not quite true. In 9i you can recover the spfile and the control file
from the backup before mounting the database, no control file required. There are a couple of different ways of doing this depending on the situation (such as
if you are using autobackup of control files or not and if you have recovered the
control file backups or if you need to get a control file backup off of tape).

You can also recover the control file from the backup in Oracle 8i (or 9i) manually using the
dbms_backup_restore procedure. You can find the instructions on how to do this
in the 9i docs (but it applies to 8i as well), or on metalink or in my Mastering
Oracle8i book or my upcoming RMAN Backup and Recovery book... It's not easy the
first time, but it works and once you are used to it it's not so bad.

Of course, having a recovery catalog makes the control file restore much easier...

Robert G. Freeman - Oracle OCP
Oracle Database Architect
CSX Midtier Database Administration
Author
Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press - Oct 2002) Oracle9i New Features (Oracle Press)
Mastering Oracle8i  (Sybex)

The avalanche has begun, It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

Author: Freeman, Robert
  INET: Robert_Freeman_at_csx.com