RE: missed Anjo's web cast..

From: Post, Ethan <Ethan.Post_at_ps.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 12:26:08 -0800

I manage one db that has an obscene amount of physical IO but most of it has to be coming from EMC disk cache (2 GB). I am not so concerned with whether they are real reads or not ( I don't think you can know from within Oracle can you?), my real concern is establishing a baseline then getting notified when I have reached a point in the system that is above the baseline far enough that I know there might be problems. Wait time is of course a bigee but if I have 100 sessions and 90% of the wait time is from 2 sessions I really don't care. What I care about is when all wait times are starting to go above my baseline. So one thing I want to monitor is something like this...

"tell me when more than 20% of the sessions are contributing to more than %80 of the wait time and the total wait time is currently more than %150 of normal for this time of weekday/weekend"

or

"tell me when total wait time is more than %300 of normal"

I started hacking out a very simple PL/SQL package with one or two tables (hopefully) that will do all some of this. It will write out essentially the Oracle Server load out to the alert log, will work much like the UNIX load. When I get it done I will share it with the list.

Personally I have learned to stop caring about actual numbers unless I am trouble shooting and just get my baseline. Find out what the system looks like when performance is bad and then tell it to tell me just before it is bad so I can dig in and make a phone call to the creep performing multiple full table scans against a 5 GB table.

By the way, Anjo, we use Precise and it is a super product but I personally don't really use it that much. I find myself staring at multiple inefficient SQL statements that no one has the time to fix and besides nobody is complaining (usually). I think they may be getting accustomed to the slow response times however :)

Ethan Post
perotdba (AIM), epost1 (Yahoo)

Author: Anjo Kolk
  INET: anjo_at_oraperf.com