Re:RE: unable to shutdown immediate

From: Gene Sais <Gsais_at_co.palm-beach.fl.us>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 10:39:26 -0800

Just my $.02. Everytime, one of my databases failed to shutdown immediate where a shutdown abort worked was b/c of dbms_jobs. If I turned it off (job_queue_processes=0), shutdown immediate worked. BTW, this was an occassional occurrence and on 7.3 db's. One of the reasons I prefer cron for scheduling jobs.

hth,
Gene

>>> dgoulet_at_vicr.com 08/08/02 02:13PM >>> Steve,

    I have seen a shutdown immediate "hang" before and every once in a while now as well. Each time I've checked the HP system and found it 100% idle which is perplexing. Also if you look for the background processes the only one up is PMON and/or SMON. Kinda strange so I called Oracle. The tech at OTS explained it this way:

A shutdown immediate first waits for any open transaction to complete. If the transaction is open (namely no rollback or commit has been issued) and the session is idle then the DB will rollback the transaction for the user and attempt to send them a message to that effect. This does work very well with sessions that are connected to the database and someone or thing is there responding. The problem occurs with sessions that have been killed and/or given the MicroSoft three finger salute (CTRL-ALT-DEL). In this case the session has nothing on the other end of that tcp/ip connection that is listening. This is a very prevalent condition with WEB servers, especially those using certain versions of MicroSoft's ODBC drivers. In this case PMON attempts to complete the communication between the client and server, but since there is no one listening it takes several minutes before it gives up. Hence the appearance of a hang. They suggest having some patience or using shutdown abort.

Dick Goulet

Author: "Steve McClure" <smcclure_at_usscript.com>
Date:       8/8/2002 9:48 AM

Thanks all,

and sorry for spamming the list. After my first message didn't make it through I got response from the list server that it had filtered my message because it looked like an automated reply(I had included the word v a c a t i o n in my original, and so thought I had hit a filter. SO I did the natural thing and tried different phrases every hour or so till my message got through, about 4 times now =).

I always forget about startup force, maybe I will give that a try. I almost always alter system checkpoint before an abort. I need to update my documentation, so others will do so as well if I am away again.

Thanks again,
Steve McClure

Author: Steve McClure
  INET: smcclure_at_usscript.com

Author: Sinardy Xing
  INET: SinardyXing_at_bkgcomsvc.com

Author: Steve McClure
  INET: smcclure_at_usscript.com

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

Author: Gene Sais
  INET: Gsais_at_co.palm-beach.fl.us

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Aug 08 2002 - 13:39:26 CDT