RE: HELP!!! best way to return record set to 3rd party product on

From: <Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 10:34:56 -0800

I am reading Jonathon Lewis' book - Practical Oracle8i. The problem is we need to return dynamic (based on values but not data elements) queries from Crystal Reports to Oracle backend. The develper would like to use stored procs. as in SQL Server apparently they can easily run SQL within a stored proc for returning large datasets. In Oracle it appears that you have to identify a cursor (like refcursor) or global temporary table or object????. The user has tried with refcursors but there is performance degradation. It appears it could be the way that Oracle CBO works with PL/SQL versus native SQL. The 3rd party tool in this case is Crystal Reports. Some ideas are use Oracle Reports (learning curve, setup?), use a macro in another language VB or C to pass native SQL, nest Crystal Reports? How do we get the best performance with the least amount of maintenance when we have a standard set of queries where data elements don't change but the values do and am using a 3rd party tool for reporting on the web!!!!

  INET: Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Aug 07 2002 - 13:34:56 CDT