db link same user different password

From: Baker, Barbara <bbaker_at_denvernewspaperagency.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 14:03:31 -0800

List:
For our reporting database, a single user owns all the report tables
(scott). We have a different password for scott for the prod and test
instances (scott/prodpass and scott/testpass). (Seemed like a good idea at the time!) The prod database is copied to test regularly.

This reporting database connects to several other databases via links to gather data. The db links from the test database do not work because the password will not validate. (The user on the "linked" database is set up as scott/prodpass). I don't want the developers to be required to change usernames or code from the test-to-production cycle.

Is there some sneaky way (synonym or something??) to set up a link in the test database that will allow user scott to connect via the link to the other databases even tho he has a different password in the test database?

Thanks for any help!
Barb

( Prod/Test databases are OpenVMS/Oracle 7.3.4. Linked databases are
Solaris/Oracle 8.0.5 and other OpenVMS/7.3.4) I've tried

	create public database link ent using 'entprod';
	or
	create public database link ent connect to scott identified by
testpass using 'entprod';
Author: Baker, Barbara
  INET: bbaker_at_denvernewspaperagency.com