Re: Replication groups partially removed (solution)

From: <alan.aschenbrenner_at_ihs.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 09:03:35 -0800

Follow up...

    Amazingly enough, the Metalink guy (Patrick) was very responsive. We corresponded back and forth 5-6 times within a single day. Here are the tables he suggested I look in to clean up the extra master group stuff that was left behind by the DBA Studio GUI:

system.repcat$_repcat
system.repcat$_repobject
system.repcat$_repprop
system.repcat$_repschema
system.repcat$_generated

    You can identify which rows you need to delete by group name and/or by owner. Once you do that, any extra junk that is on your topology should disappear (with a screen refresh), and you'll be able to add the database back into a group with that name. But even if you don't want to add it back into the group, it's still nice to know you won't have extra junk floating around in your replication tables. I know I'll sleep better...

Thanks for the responses...

Alan

                    John Thomas
                    <john_at_toronto.de       To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    mon.co.uk>             cc:
                    Sent by:               Subject:     Re: Replication groups partially removed
                    root_at_fatcity.com

                    08/05/02 12:43
                    PM
                    Please respond
                    to ORACLE-L

Alan,

Was quite involved with a replication system a while back. The simplest, safest approach is to do as you say and run catrepr.sql. I do recall getting some groups stuck on occasion, and I think a delete from DBA_REPGROUP's underlying tables might get you there. But as I'm sure you know deleting from dictionary tables tends to leave your database unsupported as far as Oracle are concerned...

This is also a good reason for using scripted replication setup - though I think OEM templates achieve the same thing. There're only about five DBMS_REPCAT calls to get to grips with as far as I remember.

Cheers,

John Thomas

In message <F001.004AB672.20020805093907_at_fatcity.com>, alan.aschenbrenner_at_ihs.com writes

>Hi,
>
> Any replication gurus out there? Currently I'm in the process of
>setting up another replication system between several databases. I set it
>up correctly the first time around, but then noticed that the domain was
>set to US.ORACLE.COM. (Quite annoying! As if anyone would actually want
>that for a default domain...what ever happened to WORLD, or none at
>all?!?!). So, I proceeded to remove the sites from the master group and
>fixed the domain name.
> When I tried to setup the replication again, it wouldn't allow me to
>add one of the databases back into the group. I received a unique
>constraint violation, claiming that the group already existed in that
>database (even though I "removed" it just a few minutes earlier). It
>appears that the DBA Studio GUI didn't properly remove all the group data
>from the replication tables. I have since recreated the master group
under
>a different name, but I would still like to clear out all the junk from
the
>old group.
> Has anyone else run into this? Does anyone have a list of tables that
>can be deleted from? Or perhaps a package that I have overlooked? I
>suppose I could just remove the replication from the database
(catrepr.sql)
>and then re-install it (catrep.sql), but what's the fun in that? And
there
>is still the outside chance that it won't work correctly also...
>
>Thanks,
>
>Alan Aschenbrenner
>Oracle DBA
>Information Handling Services