Re: 20 Instances 1 Machine

From: David Miller <dm32840_at_bachelor.West.Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 09:30:21 -0800

On Solaris (even 32-bit Solaris, i.e. 2.5.1 or 2.6) the shared memory limits are per process, not system-wide. We had 64 GB systems running 2.5.1 that could support instances using as much of that 64 GB as wanted for shared memory. With the 64-bit OS (Solaris 7, 8 or 9) the same is true.

A single 32-bit application can only map to 4 GB of address space of which you can dedicate about 3.9 GB for shared memory if you want. You may need to relink the Oracle binary to get above 2 GB (see the installation guide about genksms).

Dave Miller

Author: David Miller
  INET: dm32840_at_bachelor.West.Sun.COM