Re: Free ware databases: which are worth the money?

From: Kris Austin-Murray <kaustin_at_advance.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 07:03:28 -0800

hi,

we're using postgres extensively. it's cheaper than oracle, and requires little management. but that's what i don't like about it. the data dictionary tables are scarce and cryptic, and with little documentation available (the interactive docs online are useless for most of my inquiries... have to slog through tons of pages to find what i'm looking for.)

for instance, *where* do i find a list of all foreign key constraints? and if you create databases to mimic tablespaces in oracle, it doesn't work bc you can select from objects across databases.

good luck!

kris

kaustin=# select version();

                               version
 PostgreSQL 7.1.3 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC egcs-2.91.66 (1 row)

+-----+------+-----+------+-----+-----+-----+------+------+------+-----+ kris austin-murray ... senior database manager, ocp ... advance internet

   www.advance.net ... kaustin_at_advance.net ... 201-459-2805 +-----+------+-----+------+-----+-----+-----+------+------+------+-----+ "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Author: Kris Austin-Murray
  INET: kaustin_at_advance.net