Re: SQL*Plus blowing up on query on V$AQ...

From: Tim Gorman <Tim_at_SageLogix.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 21:08:21 -0800

I had never heard of that bug, but I checked it out on MetaLink and took it for a spin myself:   SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on Thu Aug 1 21:26:16 2002

  (c) Copyright 2000 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

  Connected to:
  Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production   With the Partitioning option
  JServer Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production

  SQL> select * from v$aq;
  ERROR:

  ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1
  ORA-01001: invalid cursor
  ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1
  ORA-01001: invalid cursor

  no rows selected
Confirms what you're saying, along with what is documented in bugs #2092731 and #2131687. But, then what about this here?   Oracle Server Manager Release 3.1.7.0.0 - Production

  Copyright (c) 1997, 1999, Oracle Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

  Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production   With the Partitioning option
  JServer Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production

  SVRMGR> connect internal
  Connected.
  SVRMGR> select * from v$aq;
  QID WAITING READY EXPIRED TOTAL_WAIT AVERAGE_WA

  SVRMGR>
So, it is happening in Server Mangler as well. Let's just say that Server Manager gets a little further along than SQL*Plus, for what that's worth. Still, it would seem that it's not a problem particular to SQL*Plus, but rather a problem either in OCI or the RDBMS. Sure, it could be a problem in both SQL*Plus and SVRMGR only, but since these products were developed separately, I'm guessing not. If I had a "C" compiler, I'd compile up the OCI demo program "cdemo2" and see if it blows up also. My money is that it is AQ itself, which uses OO features within the RDBMS. I did a SQL Trace level 12 on the statement and there is an awful lot of recursive object-oriented stuff going on behind the scenes when you do a simple query of V$AQ...

...in summary, I'm not surprised that it blows up -- I'm more surprised that it ever works at all... :-)

Thanks April! That was cool...

Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: Tim_at_SageLogix.com