Re: Cluster problem - Repost

From: Mr Frank Pettinato <xfire_girl_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 15:13:36 -0800

Tim,

Thanks for your reply.
Basically I think that this was a mistake on someones part. The thinking was probably "Gee these two tables have the same single column PK , so let's create a cluster, 'cause there faster!". However, when the db was created, the other table never was coded to use the cluster.
Now that the app owners realize that they are using a 1 table, 1 column cluster they are having second thoughts. Besides, this is a heavily used (DML) table and the doc says that heavily used (DML) should not be clustered, single read only tables are OK. Since this is the case IOT's should not be used here either.
I am not sure if it is more I/O intensive to read the cluster index and then find the correct table row or read a b-tree index and find the correct table row.

In any case, the goofy results I am seeing in the select statement make me very nervous about continuing to use them.

I am pushing the app owners to drop the cluster and rebuild the table normally.

As always I appreciate any comments or thoughts you might have.

Thanks again,
Frank

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Health - Feel better, live better http://health.yahoo.com