RE: Ids and passwords for application users

From: Richard Huntley <rhuntley_at_mindleaders.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 11:19:58 -0800

Peter,

not clear on if the database is going to be used by developers doing development work or will an application use it and you'll have up to 300 application users?

If it's an application, how about making one account that owns all of the DB objects, another generic account on top of that which you grant access to execute
packages, select on tables, etc...so that it can access the objects owned by real account
but has limited abilities accept through privileges it's been granted. That is,

app_owner - owns all DB objects
app_user - owns no DB objects, but has restricted access to objects owned by PRODUCTION
tech_support - granted select privileges only user1/user1, user2/user2, etc... - id's and passwords stored in a table, password encrypted

When a user needs access to the application, they give login/password as user1/user1, but the
application uses the APP_USER account, to look in the table that stores the logins to see if the
user is valid, and if so, the application loads, if not they're denied access.

HTH -----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, July 29, 2002 4:59 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

I am in the process of designing a small database which may have as many as 250 to 300 users. We are reaching a stage where we need to decide how we will control access to this database. As I see it we have two options:

  1. Provide a single hidden login for the entire application and control access to the applicaiton itself either by "roll your own" security or using the operating system (UNIX) controls.
  2. Create ids for the users in Oracle and grant them access to the necessary tables using roles.

Any opinions or alternate suggestions?

thanks,

Peter Schauss

Author: Schauss, Peter
  INET: SCHAUPE_at_mail.northgrum.com

Author: Richard Huntley
  INET: rhuntley_at_mindleaders.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Jul 30 2002 - 14:19:58 CDT