RE: Where is Oracle 9.2 init.ora?

From: Deshpande, Kirti <kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 14:58:20 -0800

All Right, Larry. Since we have the test servers and databases; and my Company still pays for 'doing Oracle' the 'scary' way, here is another 'scary thing' I did with SPFILE :)
(9iR1 on HP)

SQL> conn / as sysdba
Connected to an idle instance.
SQL> startup <---- using spfile

ORACLE instance started.
Total System Global Area 72273416 bytes

Fixed Size                   437768 bytes
Variable Size              37748736 bytes
Database Buffers           33554432 bytes
Redo Buffers                 532480 bytes
Database mounted.
Database opened.
SQL> show parameter db_cache_size
NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE

------------------------------------ -----------
------------------------------
db_cache_size big integer 33554432

SQL> !mv spfileKED9.ora spfileKED9.ora.bak <-- hide the spfile

SQL> !ls -l *.ora
-rw-r--r-- 1 oracle dba 12920 May 10 2001 initdw.ora

SQL> alter system set db_cache_size=10M scope=both; <-- try to set a new value

System altered. <--- No problem?

SQL> show parameter db_cache_size

NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE

------------------------------------ -----------
------------------------------
db_cache_size big integer 12582912

--> New value in effect.

SQL> !ls -l *.ora
-rw-r--r-- 1 oracle dba 12920 May 10 2001 initdw.ora

--> Still no SFILE....
--> Now, why would not Oracle tell us that there was no spfile to process
SCOPE=BOTH ? SQL> c/both/spfile
  1* alter system set db_cache_size=10M scope=spfile SQL> /
alter system set db_cache_size=10M scope=spfile *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-27037: unable to obtain file status
HP-UX Error: 2: No such file or directory Additional information: 3

-->This is what should have happened with SCOPE=BOTH as well, or at least a
warning that SCOPE=BOTH was processed as SCOPE=MEMORY since there was no SPFILE available. I would not have objected if Oracle re-recreated SPFILE in the default location and told me so!

If anyone has seen any mention of this particular behaviour of SCOPE=BOTH, I would like to know the source of that information. I have searched Metalink, Google but have not come across any. I have created an iTar with OWS. Thanks.

As I said before, SPFILE has some things that need to be made fool proof.

This time I did not drink prior to doing this 'scary' stuff !! ;-)

Regards,

Author: Deshpande, Kirti
  INET: kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Sun Jul 14 2002 - 17:58:20 CDT