Re: sequential reads/scattered reads

From: Tim Gorman <Tim_at_SageLogix.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 09:07:31 -0800

This is the kind of knee-jerk reaction that folks have to think harder about. Having data tablespaces and index tablespaces on the same "physical" device (is it really a "physical" device, or is it a "logical" device?) does not equal I/O contention. Maybe (just maybe) on your laptop or desktop, but not on properly configured current storage subsystems. The "conventional wisdom" to separate tables and indexes to separate tablespaces is not based on performance considerations, but rather on availability considerations. I/O to tables and I/O to indexes are vastly different. The idea that tables and indexes need to be segregated to separate I/O devices in all cases is a myth, and an expensive one.

Please use the information available in this forum and on websites such as

www.oraperf.com, www.hotsos.com, www.orapub.com, www.ixora.com.au,
www.miracleas.dk, www.oaktable.net, www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk, and even
www.evdbt.com to interpret the information readily available in the V$ views
to determine the exact cause and location of I/O contention. Improving I/O performance consists both of reducing the "amount of I/O requests" as well as reducing the "cost per I/O request". Reducing the amount of I/O is SQL tuning; reducing the cost per I/O involves optimizing the I/O subsystem. In the vast majority of cases, the very best improvement that can be expected in reducing the cost per I/O is 10-50% (i.e. incremental improvement) at best, which is of course dependent on where you are starting from and where you can afford to get to. In contrast, reducing the volume of I/O requests by tuning SQL statements can provide performance improvements ranging anywhere from 1% to infinity, with the majority of improvements tending toward infinity. If you were going to put your scarce money behind one or the other approach, which would you pursue?

> If you can move the indexes to a separate physical device (and their own
> tablespace/datafile) then you will reduce I/O contention. If the
> tablespace/datafile is on the same RAID device then you will be using the
> same r/w heads and you will not reduce I/O contention.
>

> oraora
> oraora To: Multiple recipients of
list ORACLE-L
> <oraoraora <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>