Re[2]: Network Appliance Options

From: Robert Eskridge <bryny_at_dfweahs.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 09:47:19 -0700

That's why you use multiple connections (switched or direct with crossover cables) and balance them. That way you change your mount points to isolate certain types of traffic or limit saturation.

We have 3 mount points for a NetApp, each on a different 100BaseT named like /mnt_n1e0, /mnt_n1e1, etc. Datafiles are separated into an OFA like directory structure that isolates certain types of behavior. For example, large indexes for database TEST might be in the directory /u09/oradata/TEST. We use symbolic links at this level, like:

ln -s /mnt_n1e1/home/u09/oradata/TEST /u09/oradata/TEST

If we wanted to isolate that to a different ethernet link, we shutdown the database and

rm /u09/oradata/TEST
ln -s /mnt_n1e2/home/u09/oradata/TEST /u09/oradata/TEST

And start the database. In a few seconds we've "moved" the datafiles in that directory to a different NFS link without Oracle even knowing it.

There are plenty of games to play if you stocked your equipment with plenty of ethernet ports.

(One word of warning, on some of the quad ethernet cards on the Sun,
I'm told that the overall throughput is far less than 4x a solo card. Be sure and check that out...)

-rje

Author: Robert Eskridge
  INET: bryny_at_dfweahs.net