RE: To Users of 9i

From: David Wagoner <dwagoner_at_arsenaldigital.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 07:41:24 -0700

We've been using 9i in production since August 20, 2001 on *one* of our databases. So far, we are happy with it and haven't had any recurring problems. However, that database doesn't require many of the new 9i features that could be bug-prone, so we have the advantage of gradual implementation of new features as they are time-tested. Here are my recommendations based on our short experience:

  1. Be prepared to read several pounds of documentation, most importantly the Migration Guide.
  2. Research the known 9i bugs and issues on MetaLink and the Oracle-L list:
  3. Be sure to read the MetaLink doc on the upgrade/install bug. You have to set a parameter in init.ora before installation and then remove it afterwards.
  4. We decided not to use the new Undo Tablespace feature of 9i based on a posting on this list in which someone encountered a corrupted Undo tablespace and had serious problems. Still using Rollback Segments until the Undo TS is more robust.
  5. Someone reported corruption during export of a tablespace that used Label Security.
  6. Say goodbye to Server Manager, say hello to logging in as "<USER> as sysdba" instead.
  7. The 8.1.7 version of OEM that runs on Windows doesn't work with 9i databases, although the new OEM for Windows release is scheduled for today (25-SEP-01) according to Oracle. Apparently, this is not an issue for OEM running on Solaris.

Anyone else have anything to contribute to this list of 9i problems?

david

David B. Wagoner
Database Administrator
Arsenal Digital Solutions Worldwide Inc. 4815 Emperor Blvd., Suite 110
Durham, NC 27703
Tel. (919) 941-4645
Fax (919) 474-0755
Author: Eca Eca
  INET: ecaeser_at_hotmail.com

Author: David Wagoner
  INET: dwagoner_at_arsenaldigital.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Sep 25 2001 - 09:41:24 CDT