RE: set event 4031

From: Henry Poras <Henry.Poras_at_ctp.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 14:07:43 -0700

Anita,

Thanks, but there is something else going on. I set the event again today, and a user got the 4031 error (actually a developer). There was no SQL in the trace file, and it showed plenty of free space, but quite fragmented (FREE LISTS section). I am going to increase the shared_pool_size temporarily to alleviate this, but I don't think that's the final solution (pinhit ratio is OK but not great). The problem is probably not from Bug 1640583 as one of the other DBAs applied this patch (anyway, Metalink implies that this is solely for AND-EQUALS).

I have noticed that almost all of my entries in the trace files are from the "library cache" heap(?). In the past when I traced for a 4031, it was due to massive SQL (~16 pages) generated by an application filling the shared pool. In that case, almost the entire pool was in the "sql area" heap. I understand that, but what exactly is in the library cache heap? execution plans? What would lead to most entries in the shared pool being "library cache"? If it was bad SQL (not shared), I would expect a bunch of "sql area" entries also. That is why I am afraid that just increasing the shared_pool_size will just postpone the inevitable.

Henry

Author: A. Bardeen
  INET: abardeen1_at_yahoo.com

Author: Henry Poras