RE: MySQL anyone?

From: Jon Baker <jcb_at_netsec.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 09:23:43 -0700

Attached is a note from another list member, Guy Hammond.

I agree with most of what Guy says, except that MySqueel does have master-slave replication (though slave cannot be a writeable slave).  And I'd add no point-in-time recovery, no incremental backup capability, and though they elude to it, it is not SQL ANSI-92 compliant ("they merely *follow* not *comply* with the SQL ANSI-92 entry level requirements).

MySqueel is fine to play with, but not what you want for a production environment.  It's not an RDBMS, but a DBS (plain old database system).  If you have a really simple application that is for internal use, it is free, but remember, you do get what you pay for.

Oh, apart from the fact that it doesn't have transactions, foreign keys, stored procedures, replication, object type definitions, bitmap indexes, subselects, or indeed, everything else a real database takes for granted.

Get it? Granted? It doesn't have roles either, heh heh heh