Re[2]: Preventing logins from applications

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 10:55:57 -0700

Charlie,

    That's all well and good, my try at it was on V7, but in my case the users revolted to upper management. And you know where the manure landed!!!

Dick Goulet

Author: "Charlie Mengler" <charliem_at_mwh.com>
Date:       8/28/2001 8:16 AM

This can be accomplished by creating a login trigger that checks the "PROGRAM" name within V$SESSION. You can create a table that contains whitelisted program names & simply terminate any session that uses a program that does not exist within your authorized list of programs.

Denham Eva wrote:

> Hi Gurus
>
> Has anyone ever had to prevent users from accessing the Database from other
> applications other than those sanctioned by the company.
> ie prevent users accessing the database using Microsoft's Access and yet
> still be able to access via the company application which also uses ODBC.
> OR preventing users accessing the DB via sqlplus but still through the app.
>
> I would appreciate any knowledge that can be shared on this topic.
> Many Thanks
> Denham
> Author: Denham Eva
> INET: EvaD_at_TFMC.co.za

Charlie Mengler                      Maintenance Warehouse
charliem_at_mwh.com                     10641 Scripps Summit Ct.
858-831-2229       .NET? Not yet!    San Diego, CA 92131
Author: Charlie Mengler
  INET: charliem_at_mwh.com

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com