RE: system trivia (groove/programming): DOS prompt/etc and choppy

From: Mark Leith <mark_at_cool-tools.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 06:57:08 -0700

Sorry
Kevin, the latter of my response was to ep, and actually as I re-read it, I didn't explain fully. What I actually meant was to check whether the audio device (your sound card) is sharing an IRQ # with another device, such as your network card - or it could even be your hard drive. What will then happen is when you are playing a CD, you go to boot a program, and you HD has to do work to pull the program in to memory - but this disrupts your sound card as they are both sharing the same interrupt request.. <SPAN
class=859310014-28082001>
Just a
thought really..

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: root_at_fatcity.com   [mailto:root_at_fatcity.com]On Behalf Of Kevin KostyszynSent:   Tuesday, August 28, 2001 15:18To: Multiple recipients of list   ORACLE-LSubject: RE: system trivia (groove/programming): DOS   prompt/etc and choppy
  Not
  sure that I am having trouble with setup. It's just that the burner is not   burning at 12x and I don't know why.  It's on it's own seperate IDE port   so it really shouldn't be complaining about anything!   <FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial
  size=2>KK

<FONT face=Tahoma

    size=2>-----Original Message-----From: root_at_fatcity.com     [mailto:root_at_fatcity.com]On Behalf Of Mark LeithSent:     Tuesday, August 28, 2001 5:36 AMTo: Multiple recipients of list     ORACLE-LSubject: RE: system trivia (groove/programming): DOS     prompt/etc and choppy
    We
    use Nero here,  and have no complaints with it.
<SPAN

    class=773560608-28082001>
<SPAN

    class=773560608-28082001>One thing to bear in mind - do you have any     conflicts with your IRQ settings? If you are on Win2K, then you can go to     admin tools / Computer Management - and take a look in the <System     Information / Hardware Resources / Conflicts/Sharing> tree, it should     tell you there. There is also a folder for IRQs, which will tell you what     IRQ each component is set to.
<SPAN

    class=773560608-28082001>
    If
    not on Win2K then you can look at your IRQ settings within your BIOS set-up,     usually within PNP Configuration I think - but don't hold me to that :P

<SPAN

    class=773560608-28082001>
<SPAN

    class=773560608-28082001>What is the set up you are having problems with Ep?

<SPAN

    class=773560608-28082001>
<SPAN

    class=773560608-28082001>Mark
<FONT

    size=2><FONT color=#0000ff
    face=Arial>
<SPAN

    class=773560608-28082001> -----Original     Message-----From: root_at_fatcity.com [mailto:root_at_fatcity.com]On     Behalf Of Kevin KostyszynSent: Monday, August 27, 2001     17:51To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject:     RE: system trivia (groove/programming): DOS prompt/etc and     choppy

      <FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial
      size=2>We use a Plextor at my office and I run Veritas Backup Exec, surf
      the internet or any other programs and have never had a problem.
      Very impressive burner.  Now my one at home is being a big pain in
      the arse because it doesn't want to operate at it's maximum transfer
      speed.  very troubling...

        <FONT face=Tahoma
        size=2>-----Original Message-----From: root_at_fatcity.com
        [mailto:root_at_fatcity.com]On Behalf Of Kimberly
        SmithSent: Monday, August 27, 2001 12:06 PMTo:
        Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject: RE: system
        trivia (groove/programming): DOS prompt/etc and
        choppy
        <FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial
        size=2>I don't think its memory related at all.  I have more then
        enough for what I do and it does
        <FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial
        size=2>the same thing.  That being said, before I cut a music CD it
        even tells me not to launch
        <FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial
        size=2>any other applications as it is a "sensitive operation".  I
        have been snared where I was
        <FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial
        size=2>making a mp3 and I launched an application and now there is a
        dead spot in the song.

          <FONT face=Tahoma
          size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Koivu, Lisa
          [mailto:lisa.koivu_at_efairfield.com]Sent: Monday, August 27,
          2001 7:11 AMTo: Multiple recipients of list
          ORACLE-LSubject: OT: system trivia (groove/programming):
          DOS prompt/etc and choppy
          Really?  I thought it
          was only because my personal pc has so little memory.   I
          run into that behavior with explorer and playing mp3's at the same
          time.  This also becomes a problem when burning a cd or changing
          formats, and even though I leave it alone, sometimes it ends up a bit
          garbled.
          How much memory do you have,
          EP?  If I remember right you are the gamer and bought the big
          huge system for the pc games?